Words...and words

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Volunteering

I have volunteered for helping with placement organisation after securing my own internship (of course placecom would have "volunteered" me anyway, had I chosen otherwise). And the last three days have been quite an experience.

I have rarely taken part in the organisation of any large-scale event. I did help in the organisation of one event - Taboo - in our engineering college festival. But I was focussed on that event and hardly noticed the complexities of arranging the whole festival. I clearly saw those this time. I got a taste of many aspects of the organisational arrangements over the last three days. I worked on preparing rooms for company interviews and making recruitment kits for the companies. I was involved with managing the interview process with one of the companies, though only as an underling of the real manager. I actually booked a cab for the departure of that company's representatives. It is hardly a boastworthy task of course, but it was the first time I had done something like this. I worked the phones today while assuming a position in "dynamic" in the afternoon (I was basically collecting info from different places and passing it on). And of course, I did a lot of running around the new campus.

It's been a great experience. Watching the placement process from a different angle is quite something. I realized the amount of detailed planning and effort that went into making the placement process (still ongoing) a very well-organised affair. From food to rooms to CVs of applicants, everything has to be done really well if WIMWI's reputation has to be maintained. Being part of summer placements is an education in itself. And there is a sense of satisfaction in doing my bit to help my classmates.

My dorm has had a good day. We are one of only two dorms (out of 23) on campus to have all the facchas placed today itself. Gusshow! I am really happy. Most of my friends have been placed too, but some remain. I hope that they make it as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home