Words...and words

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Stealing a Weekend


I did something audacious this week. I stole a weekend from WIMWI to escape to Bombay for the weekend. If I may say so, I am rather proud of myself, especially because this was a WAC submission weekend. The entire week was a period of intense uncertainty about whether I would be able to make it. I booked my tickets on the 8th of July. Then, day after day I received new blows - an OM assignment was announced on the 1oth, HR project on the 12th, an IC assignment given on the 19th - all due in the week after after my proposed trip. Add to that, my ticket for going to Bombay was waitlisted and the number was not moving up fast enough. And Harry Potter came out last Saturday and I was busy reading that till Wednesday.

But I just about managed. A lot of thanks go to my understanding study group who allowed me to freeride on the OM (Operations) report. I also put in a good night's work on Thursday to finish the WAC report.

After some nervous moments on Friday evening when I wanted to submit the WAC report (the TAs were helpful, for once), I finally managed to reach the train in time. But my waitlist was not cleared. I sat around near the door of the Sleeper compartment at 10:00 pm. Had to shell out 90 bucks to a cop and a TC to get a vacant berth at 1:00 am, even though the berth should have been mine, I believe, by right.

So there I was, in Bombay after exactly one month and a day. This has been the longest continuous spell I have spent outside the city. I had a good time in the 38 hours I spent there. Met with my family and was particularly pleased to see my niece Vrisha. I also wanted to meet my friends, especially those bound for the US. The visit was a bit hectic - I made four separate visits to meet various friends. I also had to buy gifts for some, and visit Juhu beach - had to see the sea for some undescribable reason. The trip was capped by 'gatecrashing' Kartik's farewell party. I was really happy to see my college classmates. Watching them enjoy though, reminded me of those happy days (can't believe it's only been a month) when the only reading I did was of newspapers and non-textbooks, and watching Buffy, whenever it was broadcast, was a necessity (Haven't seen a complete TV programme since coming here).

Got a piece of relieving news on Sunday - I had passed engineering. I am really happy that lingering worry is off my back.


Was on my way back on Sunday night. I expected to reach Ahmedabad by 5:45 am and planned to read cash flow statement preparation before classes at 9:00. Unfortunately the train was late and I only reached my room at 7:45 am. Luckily, I was not 'cold-called' in MANAC class.

All in all, a good escape.

1 Comments:

At 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Ischol the free ride is up...U make the HR proposal and I will Free ride..
:-))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home