Words...and words

Friday, October 13, 2006

The UK trip - Stratford and the Lake District

Stratford Home

Stratford is another quiet English town. Obviously, the only reason I was there is becuase it is Shakespeare's birthplace. There are some 15 or so persons about whom I would love to learn as much as I can throughout my life. From the UK, the list includes Shakespeare and Newton. I could not unfortunately visit any Newton-related sites in the UK :( Missed seeing his tomb in Westminster Abbey, for example. And would have loved to go to Cambridge where he taught and studied, had the logistics worked out.

Upon-the-Avon, Stratford-upon-Avon

But did satisfy a small part of my curiosity about Shakespeare. Saw his birthplace and grave and learnt more about his life and family in various exhibits in Stratford. Also saw "The Comedy of Errors" and "Titus Andronicus" in London. Saw "The Tempest" in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford - the play was really well enacted, and though I was a little tired since I had a 'standing-only' ticket, I enjoyed it very much.


I called up the hostel at Windermere, a small town in the very scenic
Lake District beforehand to check if they had vacant dorms. They didn't! Hence I went to Ambleside which is just 5 km from Windermere. Windermere is a four hour journey from Stratford, involving two train changes.

I really wanted to hire a cycle in Ambleside. However the store manager asked me for a 250 pound cash deposit or 50 pounds and a credit card as security for the bike. I did not have either. Even though I requested him to accept my passport as security, he would not budge. Walking along the lakes was good too, but cycling would have been amazing. I walked for about 4-5 hours in total that morning (Oct 4), including a 3-hour, 10-15 km walk around the Rydal (to the right) and Grasmere lakes. It was also a rather sunny day, which made the walk even better.

Grasmere

Took the train to Edinburgh that afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home