Words...and words

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Day 4: A day is not enough, not even a lifetime perhaps

Planned to visit the British Museum and the Natural History Museum Today. Unfortunately completely underestimated the vastness of the first. Reached the British Museum at 10:30 after a short walk from Holborn Underground (doing what I did in Tokyo here - getting down at Underground stations a little further away from my destinations and walking through the city streets to get a feel for the place) . Was there till 2, before taking a break to have lunch at my first vegetarian restaurant outside India ("Food for Thought" - in the vicinity of the museum).


Had covered the period till the early Roman Republic by then and had to make a choice between skipping the rest of the exhibits and heading to the Natural History Museum or skipping the Natural History Museum and going back to the British Museum. Made the second choice and was back at the museum from 4 to 7:30. Still could not finish all the exhibits! And of course, it is not as if I saw the exhibits which I did see in any great detail. The Museum's collection is amazing! One of them is the famous Rosetta Stone, shown below. And the hundreds of books on sale at the bookshops - I suddenly realised that this world is such an amazing place! So much to explore and learn about, and so little time! How I did not buy any more histories, I cannot explain.


Two more days left in London. Have seen most of what I wanted to see - two more museums left, another visit to the Globe and a trip to the National Opera. Should be manageable, though I wish I could have spent a day or two more here - but that would mean missing out on the likes of Oxford, the Lake District and Scotland, which would be a shame...

Finally took some photos today, after having missed out on two days due to my camera's batteries running out. Mostly of the museum displays though - hope to take more snaps of London tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home