Words...and words

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Reminders of term 1

I came back from a section interaction less than an hour ago. Some tucchas gave gyaan to the section D facchas about the impending T-Nite. It was quite lovely reminiscing about T-Nite, by far the best event in which I participated during the first year in WIMWI. The tempo shouts, TOEFL's dances, Chhedi as the devil, the late nights spent in CR-10, the walks back to the dorm after sunrise, painting posters, generally running around - all wonderful memories :) Should have a whale of a time watching T-Nite this year.

Before that we were treated to a great dinner at 4 Food restaurant by those of our section mates who have secured their PPOs already. This was only the second outing of the section, and our CR Anara deserves appreciation for taking the efforts to organise this dinner. I took my camera with me, but sadly forgot to load the batteries, thus missing out on many photo clicking opportunities. On the other hand, this year many more of us have cameras and there were atleast half a dozen circulating in the hall!

The best time I have had this week though has been in classes (I'm very surprised too!). Maheshwari, our fabulous, if painful, HR professor from term 1, was back, taking two lectures for our strategy class this week. I was cold-called early in the first class (and because I did not know that he would be taking the class, I had not even begun reading the case). An impromptu rem given by Kammo that morning enabled me to just save my skin! But I enjoy sitting in Maheshwari's classes. He is a teacher who forces students to think about the meaning of their words and assign genuine reasons to and derive logical conclusions from their statements. I always feel like I have learnt something new and useful in his classes. In his second class, I had read the case quite well, of course. And sitting in class, being able to follow even nuanced references to the situation described, reminded me of term 1, when (with the exception of T-Nite) I was always quite well prepared for my classes...not that I do not enjoy the pleasures of sitting in class having never read a single reading during the entire course!

The other course I have enjoyed this term is Infrastructure Development and Financing. The three classes after mid-term have been especially delightful. I do not read anything beforehand of course, but the professors are quite understanding and there are enough in class who speak to enable me to freeride through. Professor Pandey's classes on the debt rating of a gas exploration and production company and on the bidding process devised for the disinvestment of a Peruvian mine were wonderful expositions on how devising the correct incentives is the key to achieving policy goals. So was the example he gave of how foreign policy influences economic policy. Of course, this interplay of history, politics and economics fascinates me. I will try my best to increase my knowledge of this area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home