Words...and words

Friday, September 29, 2006

Day 5: Blunders and old friends

An MBA student who "cracked" the CAT and an aspiring market trader - that's how I could describe myself. But that would be omitting something significant - to complete the description would require the phrase 'completely lacking in common sense'. Have been looking around London for a nice place to exchange my dollars for pounds. Finally found one today which offered what seemed to be a great rate. Immediately I rushed and exchanged 400 dollars. When he gave me the British money though, I realised that I had been my very inevitably foolish self - hadn't read about the service charge of 10-11% that they charge. A £20 loss :( What should have been equivalent to about £205 was reduced to £186 - just because I had not bothered to ask how much would I get before agreeing to the trade.

Anyway, almost at the end of my London visit. Just one more day to go. Have seen most places that I wanted to - went to the Natural History Museum and Hyde Park today. Also have been making up for the missed opportunities of photographing London on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...though the views from St. Paul's and the London Eye are gone forever :(

Did not see much in the Natural History Museum. Am most interested in dinosaurs and mammals, and restricted myself to the exhibits of them. Some of the dinosaur fossils and models were really impressive (Added on Oct 13).

Walking through Hyde Park was very nostalgia-inducing and I was rather lost in thoughts of friends in WIMWI and elsewhere. This happened on two-three occassions during the UK trip, generally whenever there was nohing specific to focus on and my mind was free to wander (Added on Oct 13).

Meet Paldy today. Was really good meeting an old friend...

On Sunday, it's off for a week of exploring the rest of England and Scotland. Can't decide my exact itinerary though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home