Words...and words

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Old favourites

I sometimes cannot believe that I used to watch TV for 6-8 hours everyday during my engineering days. Pretty much since my first day in WIMWI, my television viewing has declined to almost nothingness. Even here in Deutschland, where I have a TV in my room, I hardly watch any, preferring reading or surfing the Net.

Yesterday, I did see some TV and came across across "Gilmore Girls" (dubbed in German). It was amongst my favourite series during my last year in college. The witty dialogue and rapid speech that characterise the show made me a fan ever since I saw the first episode. Unfortunately, Zee English only played season 1 till the time I left for Ahmedabad. Watching Luke, Lolerai and Rory yesterday (I did not understand much of the dialogue, of course) brought back memories of lying on my bed and watching TV for hours on end, switching between news programmes and sitcoms.

I finished my season 5 DVD set of Buffy last week. Each episode is such a gem! Had seen "The Body" just before leaving for Europe. It's an episode that I always hesitate to watch, since it is so painful. Josh Whedon is simply a genius - he has written and directed unforgettable episodes ranging from those with little dialogue ("Hush", Season 4) to a musical ("Once More, With Feeling", Season 6). Stunning visuals, haunting soundtracks, hilarious one-liners, mindblowing scripts and intense emotion all come together with the deep attachment that I have for the characters to make a Whedon-written Buffy episode a treat I dare not give myself too often - for fear of consuming too much of a good thing.

I will now begin with season 3 (which I bought in London). It's the only season of Buffy I have not seen properly. Seasons 1-3 were playing on Star TV when I was in school and a fan of the show, but a fan who could not understand all the dialogue and who often had tutions to go to in the evening. Seasons 1 and 2 I later saw on a South African channel that played on my cable durng my 2nd or 3rd year in college. Hence, I am really looking forward to this season and hope to finish it before leaving Europe. Faith, the Mayor, Graduation Day, and the bazooka await, as does an episode I recall as being brilliant - "The Wish".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home