Words...and words

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bombay


Guru got married today...lots of fun and good food at the wedding celebrations at the Grand Bhagwati hotel. Also remembered to take snaps while wearing my suit (did not do so either during placement or during the SBC presentations). Though there was plenty of time in between the lunches and dinners to do whatever mugging was required, yet I couldn't let go of this convenient excuse :)

Someone posted a link to this blog on DBabble. It is a photo blog on Bombay, with really lovely images of the city and its landmarks. Sometimes I really, really miss Bombay and this is one of those times. I like sitting on Juhu beach with the sand slipping through my fingers. I love gazing at the imposing VT station and BMC buildings. The Rajabai Tower and the BSE juxtaposed together simply looked awesome whenever I passed them on my way to the British library. The trains of course are the signature of the city. Cycling on roads, competing with autos and cars and BEST buses for precious space, was exceptionally fun. The thought of walking on a railway station platform, being pushed inexorably in one direction by a sea of people, is suddenly invoking fond memories too.

Of course there are myriad problems associated with Bombay - the endemic poverty and vast slums (to which I have sadly become desensitised to), land grabs and mangrove destruction in the few remaining open spaces, delayed projects and an indifferent government more bent upon banning dance bars than sprucing up the city, to name a few. While watching Ek Ajnabee the other day, I was struck at how beautiful at least certain parts of Bangkok looked. Bombay is being left far behind, not just by her Asian counterparts, but also Indian cities like Delhi. I remember my pledge a few months earlier (read it here). I have done nothing for Bombay yet. My pledge still stands though. I will have to search for a way...

A status report on the Bandra-Worli Sealink - the important bridge being built to serve as the second road link between the western suburbs and the city. After years of stalling, work seems to have started in earnest again, three months ago. The website now shows monthly progress reports and photos. At least two more years will be required to complete the bridge though.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be missing Bombay. I guess you will enjoy these images of Juhu Beach

 

Post a Comment

<< Home