Words...and words

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sadder by the day

More tragedy in the story of Section D. Moti fell prey to the same nasty illness stalking our section and had to miss the exams today. After a short stay in SAL hospital, he'll fly home tomorrow, and will miss the remaining four exams as well (On an aside, SAL is the first hospital I've seen where vistors are charged an entry fee to see patients!). And Sarang too was not well enough to give exams today. Hopefully, he'll be fine tomorrow. So that's 6 students from our section, who have partly or completely missed their end-terms. I just hope their postponed exams are held soon after the break, or else they will face serious difficulties in managing the syllabus of two terms simultaneously.

Not that I've been coping much better, with just the first term to worry about. The end-terms so far have been pretty bad. Operations was a disaster. Eco will hopefully be a facesaver. Accounts today was rather nasty too. HR went OK. But once Maheshwari lucidly expains the factors pertaining to the labour unrest in the case, I will probably learn that I'd missed almost all of them.

No matter...just two more days to go. I'm sure glad to be rid of these tests, but I am not unhappy at WIMWI. I am beginning to enjoy life here. My friend-circle, though small, is perfect for me. Have got used to the pace, and have been able to make time for reading books, websites and newspapers. And I'm sleeping well too.

I finished part 1 of the Htichhiker's Guide (finally!) yesterday and I simply loved it. The story meanders rather aimlessly, but the recurring anticlimaxes are hilarious. The words are so humorous and so unexpected. "Do you want me to sit in a corner, and rust, or just fall apart where I'm standing?", says Marvin the hopelessly Paranoid, but still delightful, Android (Adams, 2002, p. 71). In the next term, I hope to expand my free time further, and begin reading more voraciously and restart my essay-writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home