Words...and words

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Reads of 2009 - Part 1

Continuing last year's start, I will again list down the books I read in 2009. Like last year, the list is in roughly chronological order, with the dates in parentheses being the dates of acquisition, though there were enough books that were promoted out of turn. Since I read 20 books last year, and my descriptions are not very succinct, I have divided the list into two parts. Here's part 1:


  1. Eccentric Seattle, JK Pierce (Sep 1, 2006): I finally finished this book, gifted by a friend who lives in Seattle, last year. It is a light-hearted collection of stories about people and events in Seattle's century-and-a-half long history. Some of the essays make for enjoyable reading, but on the whole, the book is more suitable for those who live or have stayed in the city.
  2. Being Indian, P Varma (Jan 13): I first saw this book three years ago in the hands of a friend. The book is an examination of modern Indian society, highlighting national characteristics at odds with our self-image (eg., Indians are extremely hungry for power and status). The thesis is not scientific or very analytical, but nevertheless intriguingly persuasive, and left me thinking for much of the year.  
  3. The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium, G Durrell (Jan 13): Durrell is an author recommended by a friend. This compilation of short stories ranges from humorous to downright spine-chilling. Overall, a wonderful read.
  4. Abraham Lincoln, GR Benson (Jan 15): This is an old biography of Abraham Lincoln, and I certainly did not expect to find a volume like this in Jodhpur. I am mesmerised by the resolve shown by Lincoln when facing the gravest peril to the US in its history. His determination to not let slavery spread any further, but of not letting the union dissolve, was surely a major factor in the forging of a stronger nation, giving it the necessary iron to lead the world in the 20th century. 
  5. Victory in Bangladesh, Maj Gen L Singh (Jan 15): From America's darkest hour, to one of India's brightest (post-independence). This chronicle of the 1971 war is essentially military in scope, and much too densely written. Yet it remains informative and was a good start to a year in which I read much about warfare.
  6. The Mughal World, A Eraly (Feb 7): This is the third book by Eraly that I have read. The Mughal World is a chronicle of life in the great empire: in the royal harem, in palaces of nobles, in towns and villages, during war marches. It is more downbeat than I expected it would be, but meticulously researched, no doubt.
  7. Wonderful Life, S Gould (Mar 8): The late Stephen Jay Gould was a great essayist, with a knack for presenting lovely anecdotes and trivia even while expounding on a larger idea. This is probably his most famous book, surveying the fantastic Cambrian Era fossils found in the Burgess Shale in Canada. His thesis about the supposed "explosion" of life plans during this period is very controversial and I am inclined to disbelieve it. Regardless, I strongly recommend reading this book and this author. 
  8. The Forgotten Man, A Shales (Mar 8): I suspect that this history is a fringe narrative of the Great Depression. Decidedly right-wing, the author rails against the repeated bungling by the government all through the way during 1929-1939, and espouses the gold standard. I am sure a more balanced (and more accurate) view is available elsewhere. But I enjoyed reading this anyway, especially the account of the trial of a small chicken wholesaler in New York harassed by the government's National Recovery Administration (a price and standards fixing commission).   
  9. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, E Lefevre (Mar 8): This is a must-read for anyone engaged in trading in the financial markets. A witty and insightful account of the rise and fall (more than once!) of a trader in the US during 1900-1930. However, non-traders will probably not be able to fully appreciate the psychological sub-terrain, especially its repeated evocations of instinct guiding trading decisions; or identify with most traders' persistent inability to stick to their self-set rules.
  10. The Fall, A Camus (Mar 23): I got introduced to this author when a friend gifted me "The Outsider". I really took a liking to that book. This novel is nowhere as good, but I think I will continue reading Camus and his melancholy outlook of the human condition.
Next post...part 2

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home