Words...and words

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Individual Rights

"We are suspicious of awfully serious collectives that claim noble purpose. Individuals who only want the freedom to see where their talent will take them are our favourite knid of Indians," says an editorial in the Indian Express today. As in most cases, I tend to agree.

Freedom for individuals to choose their paths is the cornerstone of my political views. As I have written before, I rely on application of the right to equality and the right to freedom to make judgements about most public issues. That may be a shallow approach to take, but I have found it to be very helpful in separating my personal conduct (derived from a miss-mash of personal idiosyncrasies and values) from the behaviour I expect from fellow citizens at large. I think that it is correct to give the widest leeway to citizens to govern their own lives.

I agree with the dictum of Adam Smith that individuals making selfish choices end up being the "invisible hand" that guides society to greater prosperity. "By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." (The Wealth of Nations). But even if society seems to be harmed by the actions of an individual, we should be extremely circumspect in our judgement. It must be fairly established that other individuals' rights are being curbed by the actions of another before we seek to modify or curb those actions. Infringement of the rights of others must be established - mere majority disapproval is not enough. Even when infringement is proved, a compromise must be made between the rights of the two or more entities involved, not simply an imposition of majority opinion.

I have a lot more to add to and edit in this piece. But I will let it remain here, so I that I do not give up on it midway...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home