Words...and words

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sexist language

Yesterday I was in the office pantry, fixing up some bread-jam. Two others were also standing there. Both are near strangers. I first spoke to the girl for a few seconds - the entire exchange in English. Next I turned to the boy. Not sure how it began, but the bulk of conversation was in Hindi.

That's something I have often observed. Whenever girls talk either with other girls or with boys, the language used is English. Guys tend to speak to each other in Hindi. This is hardly an iron-fisted rule of course, but I noticed this tendency in both my engineering and business schools. I have asked some people what their opinion about this is, but while many agree with my observation, no one has put forth a hypothesis of why this might be so. I have little clue myself of the possible causes. But it sure is interesting :)

2 Comments:

At 2:42 am, Blogger Viral Patel said...

with guys we tend to talk in hindi bcoz male talk are generally in hindi as hindi tends to express our thoughts more clearly n infact it becomes more interesting n lively so even when we normally talk to guys we generally tend to start the conversation in hindi if we know or tend to know that person n the opposite person than continues the conversation as it was started in hindi .... while for females we try to be a bit more careful with the language we speak so that foul language or words we use among our male talk doesnt come even by slip of tongue ....

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger FiFo said...

That may be true. But I have observed that girls tend to talk with each other in English. Does that mean that girls express themselves better in English?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home